Website Village of Glen Ellyn
The Glen Ellyn Public Works Department is a vibrant organization for a community of roughly 29,000 residents in the western suburbs of Chicago, recruiting for a Maintenance Worker I employee in the Streets Division. This is an entry level position that performs a variety of tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of public infrastructure, along with playing an integral role in snow removal activities. Come be part of a team that takes pride in their job and an organization that puts time, effort, and resources into developing employees.
· Perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance duties.
· Operate a variety of vehicles and heavy-duty tools and equipment properly & safely.
· Perform street & sidewalk maintenance such as concrete and asphalt pavement and sidewalk repairs.
· Install and maintain traffic control devices in accordance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic control Devices (MUTCD).
· Manufacturer, maintain, and install street signs and posts.
· Maintain streetlights, traffic signals, and parking meters.
· Install and maintain streetscape infrastructure (benches, trash cans, fencing, etc.).
· Assist the general public and private contractors with questions and concerns.
· Prepare accurate work records including time spent and materials used.
· Set-up safe work zones and use appropriate safety equipment.
· Assist in emergency response operations and community special events.
· Participate in snow removal operations according to the snow and ice removal plan.
Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, possession of a college degree or advanced training is preferred. For a MWI, one (1) year of experience in general construction and maintenance work is a plus but willing to train the right candidate. Valid driver’s license of a Class ‘B’ CDL, with air brake endorsement or ability to obtain within a defined period; current possession of a CDL ‘B’ or ‘A’ is a plus. Ability to operate various types of heavy-duty tools and equipment including backhoe, loader, skid steer, and snowplow trucks and equipment.
The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, climbing, walking, lifting and/or moving (up to 75 pounds), grasping, pulling/pushing, twisting, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, occasional typing, and repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Employee occasionally works around vibrations and noise, moving mechanical parts, confined spaces and underground trenches, heights, and is exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme outdoor temperatures. Work environment includes primarily outdoor work in various types of weather conditions, with some indoor work as well.
The general work schedule is Monday-Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. Must be able to respond to after-hours call-backs and be prepared for and confront emergency conditions as necessary.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position (overtime eligible) which includes full benefits, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) a defined benefit retirement plan. The hourly pay range for a MWI is $22.88-34.81, starting pay to commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and employment application (click here) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
2. Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #40-23 Maint. Worker Streets – PW) in the subject line of their e-mail.
3. The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer medical physical with a drug screen.
4. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. To be considered for the first round of interviews, applications must be received by November 7, 2023 at 5:00pm. The position is open until filled. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com